Posts Tagged ‘winter’
Although I love winter time the cold weather is starting to get to me. When I go walk the dog I look like I’m heading out in a snow storm-puffy jacket, toque, gloves, scarf, and boots. You’re probably thinking I am a sissy but I do love the snow just not the wet, cold nasty weather. It is nice that everything is still green but I am still longing for spring…or a hot vacation-whichever comes first. Lol.
Here’s a yummy recipe to help warm you up on a cold, blistery day like today. Enjoy!
Winter Vegetable and Bean Soup with Pesto
• 2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled
• 2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped
• 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
• 1 6-ounce white-skinned potato, peeled, diced
• 3 tablespoons water
• 8 cups canned vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
• 6 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
• 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For pesto: Puree all ingredients in processor. Season with salt and pepper. (Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
For soup: Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy large pot. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil. Stir in orzo; boil uncovered until orzo is almost tender, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add green beans; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in cannellini and crushed pepper; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide pesto among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over pesto; swirl to blend. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Recipe from http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy/nutritiousdishes/wholesomewintermeals/recipes/food/views/Winter-Vegetable-and-Bean-Soup-with-Pesto-105969#ixzz1ABxxx5mc
Happy New Year everyone. May 2011 be full of bingo wins, great times and great friends!
All the best!